Hans

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)
Sent: June-30-10 7:54 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Define FULL PACK MDISK or DEDICATE z/Linux DASD

Hi

I am sure this has come up before but I could not find it in the archives
(getting oldJ).

Anyway, during our z/Linux guest build process, which we are doing at a very
fast pace, we end up initializing the z/Linux DASD under z/VM. Now, when we
execute the z/Linux Kick Start that process comes right back and initializes
the same DASD. This process depending on the amount of DASD being presented
to the guest can take two or more hours to complete with the majority of the
time being spent on the DASD initialization phase of the Kick Start.

The question is would it help to Dedicate the DASD to the guest instead of
specifying a FULL PACK MINI-DISK for the DASD? I am assuming that by
Dedicating the DASD that I could skip the z/VM initialization phase and just
let the z/L:inux OS initialize them at Kick Start time. This would save a
bunch of time during the build process. I wanted to be sure what the pros
and cons were if I decided to go this route.

Thanks in advance to the help!

Thank You,

Terry Martin

Lockheed Martin - Citic

z/OS and z/VM Performance Tuning and Operating Systems Support

Office - 443 348-2102

Cell - 443 632-4191

cid:image001.jpg@01C97FB5.5EAFD6C0