On Thursday, 07/01/2010 at 03:20 EDT, Rob van der Heij <rvdh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> > Protecting the system itself from guests with fp minis or dedicated
>
> > 2. Use DEVNO minidisks or dedicated volumes
>
> I would not look forward to D/R where have to change all DEVNO
> statements and get it right...

It's a choice.  You don't have to FEAR fullpack minis, but you do have to
PLAN for them.  After all, dedicated volumes and DEVNO mdisks have the
same issue in that respect.  The freedom to avoid dependency on RDEVs
comes only by placing trust in all the people who manage them.  If the
managers of those RDEVs defer management of any part of that
infrastructure to an untrusted system or person, then the chain is broken
and assumptions are no longer valid.

As a security guy, I prefer to use non-fullpack minis.  But if I have to
have them, then it would be irresponsible for me to ASSUME that the guest
will not alter the volser.  All virtual machines used by people other than
trusted z/VM admins are, by definition, untrusted and Evil Incarnate.