On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Mrohs, Ray <ray.mr...@usdoj.gov> wrote:
> We have a customer that wants to install Linux in an LPAR by itself. Their
> system is a separate CEC without a VM license. It seems I should be able to
> install Linux under VM onto dedicated volumes and using real OSA addresses,
> and then IPL via the HMC for the assigned LPAR. If that's true then Linux can
> run standalone or under VM with dedicated DASD.

Yes, you could set up your virtual machine to mimic the LPAR that they
eventually have. Depending on how you reference the devices, Linux
configures the device address in as well.

Obviously you will remember not to have those DASD devices online on
other LPARs (or they could disrupt things by picking an interesting
volser for their volumes).

Rob