Hi Terry -

As a couple other folks have mentioned, "dd" will work to do that, even if you
dump the image out to a tape or a disk file. However, you will need to make
sure that no changes are taking place on the disk you are dumping while you are
dumping it, which leads back to the same issue as using DDR from z/VM, or at
least almost. I keep the OS volumes separate from my data volumes for just this
reason.

Does this need to be a disk image or will a file by file backup suffice? If the
latter, "dump" or "tar" may be good candidates. Any backup utility that can
recognize and retry open files would probably provide the necessary integrity
for your backups.

If you really need a disk image on the other hand, a shutdown of the guest to
gain exclusive access to the disk and using DDR or "dd" is the best bet I think.

If it is a disk image of a data volume, then just umount the data volume under
linux, and remount it read only. Then use dd to get your image off to
wheresoever you need it to be. Umm- make sure it is mounted read/only
everywhere of course. If it is cross mounted all over creation with NFS, then
you might have a different issue.

Don't know if it will help any, but here, I roll OS/Images out with DDR to
physical 3590 tapes. Data partitions are written out to virtual tapes on the
VTL via dd, and file by file backups are written out with Tivoli, again to the
VTL. Our VTL automatically replicates tapes to the DR site, meaning I can test
by restoring the tapes at the remote site. This works for us because we are not
running on a 24X7 schedule for our operations data, though we are providing
24x7 web access and services. I would run the DDR physical tapes out to the VTL
too if I could figure out how to get z/VM to talk to 'em. :)

Yours,
-Paul