What about Bacula? Dr Boyes could speak could speak on this point better

And you always want to shutdown the guest to get a good backup

mace

________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 10:33 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How to copy a disk using a z/Linux guest

Hi

Further explanation. Here is my dilemma in a nut shell:

I have a z/Linux volume on a guest that does not have a z/OS VTOC. We
typically use DFDSS on z/OS to back the z/Linux disks up and restore
them at out DR site. Since this particular guest does not have z VTOC
DFDSS cannot open it. So given this we decided to use DDR for this disk
but the guests have the disk allocated so we are not able to attach the
disk to the user that would be doing the DDR.

So the only way I know to get this backed up is shutdown the guest and
then attach the disk to the user doing the DDR. So I am assuming that if
I do this that DDR will back up everything needed on this pack to do a
good restore at the DR site.

Are assumption good here and is there other ways to do this say without
bringing the guest down?

THANKS

Thank You,

Terry Martin

Lockheed Martin - Citic

z/OS and z/VM Performance Tuning and Operating Systems Support

Office - 443 348-2102

Cell - 443 632-4191