On Monday, 08/16/2010 at 10:47 EDT, RPN01 <nix.rob...@mayo.edu> wrote:
> Flashcopy does not account for any disk buffers linux still has cached
and
> unwritten. It will mitigate the situation where the disk is changing
while
> it is being backed up.
>
> All in all, if you're talking about running images, full-pack backups
are
> basically worthless.

The thing that I don't understand is why so many computer professionals
are so eager to overlook the effects of caching and consistency when
taking backups.  It's a variation of the classic 'time-of-test to
time-of-use' problem.

Heisenberg comes into play, too, after fashion. :-) If you want to know
the precise position (value) of ALL the bits on the disk, their velocity,
as it were, must be zero.  Raise it up a few quanta and you can apply it
to multiple disks.  Up another level and you have multiple servers.

And while an in-band backup (dd) will give you a valid filesystem, there's
no guarantee of consistency of file contents if the app is still running.

Back in my application developer days, the app was taken down on the
weekend and the in-band Time Zero DR backup was obtained.  During the
week, transaction logs were collected in order to replay them in the event
the db needed to be restored.  Apps that need to stay up while backups are
being taken need to include that capability in their design.