On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:58:08 -0700, Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com> wrote
:

>So I guess there is no way to absolutly protect z/VM from using the wron
>pack at IPL.. Maybe a requirement? In SYSTEM CONFIG allow optional rdev
on
>the SLOT deffinations. comments?

I would rather see z/VM issue prompt messages the way z/OS does for
duplicate volsers/duplicate SYSRES packs:

IEA213A DUPLICATE VOLUME volname FOUND ON DEVICES dev1 AND dev2. REPLY

DEVICE NUMBER WHICH IS TO REMAIN OFFLINE

IEA214A DUPLICATE SYSRES volname FOUND ON DEVICE dev. VERIFY THAT CORRECT

DEVICE WAS USED FOR IPL. DUPLICATE DEVICE WILL REMAIN OFFLINE.
REPLY ’CONT’ TO CONTINUE IPL

This gives you/operations the chance to "pick" which duplicate volume
should be offline, (or which one should be online), instead of z/VM
picking one for you and probably using the wrong one.  This is one of the

few things that z/OS does better then z/VM!  :-)>

--
Dale R. Smith