Tom,

Been following this with interest. It sounds like your environment is
a lot different from most of the responders, so it has been
educational looking at what everyone else does.

You have said that you know the volumes addresses of the production VM
volumes. If so, why not code the SYSTEM CONFIG to only bring those
online at IPL? Leave all the rest offline until you are up, then use
an exec (perhaps on AUTOLOG1) to bring the rest of the volumes online?
In ancient days, before there was a SYSTEM CONFIG, my AUTOLOG1 always
brought the volumes up and attached them to the system.

There have been two approaches for multiple VM res volumes discussed
on the list in the past. One is to make the production volumes have
different volsers than everyone else. You only need to do that for the
floor system and let your many testers sort through "whose 540RES is
this"? If you have to do that for many LPAR, then you have the fun of
coming up with many unique names.

Personally, my test VM system uses volumes that are copies of the
floor system but one cylinder less, so I can leave the real volser
untouched and give my testbed mdisk volumes that start at cylinder 1.
IBM still makes RES, W01 and W02 stop 1 cylinder before full
(something that they were doing when I put in my first VM system on
3310s in 1979) and I think that is so you can create a complete copy
on a second volume but not need to touch cyl 0 of the second volume.
These volumes are not IPLable on different LPAR, or different machines
sharing the DASD subsystem, but it works okay on the same LPAR. It
works for me because I have one machine and no LPAR.

Ron