From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Michael MacIsaac
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 5:31 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Duplicate VOLID's

>  That is absolutely the wrong thing to do.
Is it so black and white?

Our team has been using this convention for a number of years and it has worked
fine for us.  However, I will admit we have never been asked to migrate to a
new disk array. I believe the main argument for not using the rdevs in the
volser is that after migration, the volsers will be wrong (e.g. migrate VM2222
at rdev 2222 to a new DASD at rdev 4444 and the volser convention is now wrong
- the DASD at 4444 now has a volser of VM2222).

I understand that changing the volsers throughout the (perhaps) many z/VM
systems would be labor-intensive and perhaps error prone (e.g. clipping the
VM2222 to VM4444 and then making sure that all references to VM2222 are updated
correctly). I agree that allowing this would break the convention and then
things would become very confusing.

But, is there not a model whereby the new DASD can have the same rdev range as
the old DASD?  For example:
1) Put the new DASD online assigning it a temporary range of rdevs (e.g. 4444)
2) FLASHCOPY/DDR the old DASD to the new DASD (e.g. 2222 => 4444, and every
other DASD in a z/VM LPAR)
3) Reassign the new DASD the old DASD's address ranges, and take the old DASD
offline
4) Restart the LPAR.

This should work on paper, but I may be missing something obvious. Yes, it
would require more interaction with "the hardware guys".  Has anyone used this
model?

I'm just trying to understand and appreciate the wisdom of the community, where
many have much more experience as sysadmins than I. Thanks.

"Mike MacIsaac" <mike...@us.ibm.com>   (845) 433-7061