From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 1:38 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Duplicate VOLID's

On Thursday, 08/26/2010 at 09:58 EDT, Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> So I guess there is no way to absolutly protect z/VM from using the
wrong pack
> at IPL.. Maybe a requirement? In SYSTEM CONFIG allow optional rdev on
the SLOT
> deffinations. comments?

Rich Corak has explained on previous occasions how volser recognition
works.  If CP detects a duplicate volser for a device to be attached to
SYSTEM at IPL, you will get
  HCP954I DASD rdev1 VOLID volid IS A DUPLICATE OF DASD rdev2
and you are responsible to ensure that rdev2 is the one you intended to
be
attached to the system.  Out of all the volumes on the system with that
volid, the lowest *device number* (address) will win, without regard to
who responds first.

As has been suggested, this is no guarantee since you can find yourself
in
trouble if you have a dasd problem or someone dinks with the I/O config
and makes a mistake.  Being able to place the RDEV on the CP_owned and
user_volume_xxxx statements is one way to help mitigate the problem.

There is another way to identify devices: by their architected node
element descriptor (NED).  Or in the lingua franca, universally unique
identifiers (UUIDs).  When Single System Image hits the streets, you
will
find UUIDs very much in evidence, though not in the context of IPL or
SYSTEM CONFIG.

But I could imagine something like this in SYSTEM CONFIG:

CP_Owned Slot 1 6X0RES ID 2105.000.IBM.13.3737504EE.0D0A
CP_owned Slot 2 6X0TD1 ID 2107.900.IBM.13.29839621A.0D0A
CP_owned Slot 3 6X0PG1 ID 2107.900.IBM.13.4924295DC.0D0A, (yes, there
are
two IDs for slot 3)
                          2107.900.IBM.13.0358113AA.0D0A  (..choose in
the
order given)

so that you wouldn't have to worry about the RDEV.  However, there is a
Heisenberg-esque trade-off to be made between flexibility and security.
Good news - the above syntax ensures you won't have any bogus volumes.
Bad
news - it won't tolerate any copies or change in DASD, so it's generally

hostile to a dynamic DR environment, and you can't get the NED until you

IPL.

Hmmm....or....when IPL has finished, CP could write the found UUIDs to
the
warm start area and use those in preference to any other on a subsequent

IPL.  For PPRC pairs, write both UUIDs and allow either.   If a volume
with the needed UUID is not available, then (based on configuration) ask

which RDEV to use a la z/OS, or just take the lowest-numbered one
available.  In either case, update the UUID in the warm start area.
hmmmm.....

This message contains information which is privileged and confidential and is
solely for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
review, disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at
privacy...@ailife.com.