From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Tom Huegel
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 8:22 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Duplicate VOLID's

OK Ray, that is the best tip yet. But there are flaws you are assuming that you
are the one in control. Picture a situation where there is a pool of DASD that
is available for 'anyone' to use, for anything they want to use them for. They
could have z/VM system volumes, z/OS, z/LINUX, z/VSE, or just application data.
At some point they all get reinitialized but not until the user is done which
could be weeks.
Also consider that there are several z/VM 'production' systems in different
LPARS or CEC's They can't all be at the lowest address..

Some others have suggested labeling schemes ie VMrdev.....
As for labeling the volumes with the rdev ie VM1234, yes I use that scheme when
returning the packs to the user pool.
Labeling the packs as VMrdev doesn't address the problem, I am not interested
tracking those volid's I only care about xxxRES, xxxWK1, xxxWK2, etc....
On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Ray Waters