On Monday, 09/20/2010 at 03:23 EDT, Ivan Warren <i...@vmfacility.fr>
wrote:
> I'd rather have something like :
>
> - Open Lxxx
> - Ask ESM (or some VM which can ask the ESM) to allow me to log on to
> "userx" without password from LDEV Lxxx
> - ESM (or ESM proxy) grants (or refuses)
> - If ESM grants, enter userx in the login logo field, and get granted
> logon (by the ESM) without password from the LDEV.
>
> This way no secret ever gets exchanged.. And if the requesting user is
> no longer authorized to do this, then it's only a matter of changing the
> ESM setting - NOT changing the password.
>
> (Dunno if you can do that RACF/VM though).
>
> PS : It also requires the ESM/ESM Proxy to trust CP as to the originator
> of the request which can possibly be circumvented depending on
> circumstances (access to hardware, STORE HOST, Diag D4, etc..)

As would I, as those things are needed in order to enable the z/VM
equivalent of z/OS TN3270E Logon Express.  That's where you have the
ability to:
a) Create or import X.509 user certificates
b) Associate them with a VM user ID
c) When used on an SSL/TLS-protected telnet session, optionally login
without a password.  (Or require two-factor authentication.)

I know that the former Chief z/VM Security Weasel has had "LDEV login
without password" on his to-do list for a long time.

It doesn't work for reconnect, but today you can create an LDEV and, if
you're authorized, 'XAUTOLOG user ON ldev' without a password.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices