The benefits are far greater than the loss of directly editing your
directory. Have you ever edited your directory and put it online, only to
find out later that you¹d managed to overlay a minidisk or important piece
of CP¹s disk? It shouldn¹t happen again if you correctly implement Dirmaint.
And you won¹t have to hunt for space to add a user. You can just say ³I need
a 200 cyl minidisk, and Dirmaint will find a place to put it. Have two
systems? Dirmaint can actually manage one common CP directory between the
two. There really isn¹t a reason to hand-manage a CP directory that
outweighs using Dirmaint or some other directory management tool. The tool
is always a better choice.

Now, a caveat. On some regular basis, use the command ³Dirmaint user
withpass², and save a copy of the old-style complete directory on maint¹s,
or your 191 disk, just for emergency¹s sake. Don¹t get caught without a
fairly current source directory that you could put online yourself in an
emergency situation if something should happen and Dirmaint couldn¹t run. I
don¹t know what that situation might be, but I like the warm, fuzzy feeling
of being able to see that ³user withpass² file on my 191 disk.

--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OC-1-18             200 First Street SW    /V\