On Friday, 10/01/2010 at 10:24 EDT, Ray Waters
<ray.wat...@opensolutions.com> wrote:
> We use all the ?DIRMAINT ? or ?DIRM?  commands and also are able to use
XEDIT
> to make our major directory changes. I wrote an EXEC to ?DIRMAINT
OFFLINE?,
> ?DIRMAINT BACKUP?, DIRMAINT SHUTDOWN?, then ?COPY USER BACKUP B &DIRNAME
DIRECT
> A (OLDD ? , followed by ?XEDIT &DIRNAME DIRECT A?.
>
> Once my EXDIT changes are made and I ?FILE?, I ?COPY &DIRNAME DIRECT A
USER
> INPUT C (OLDD? to the DIRMAINT 1DF mdisk,? CP XAUTOLOG DIRMAINT?, ?EXEC
> DIRMAINT ONLINE?.
>
> Anyway you get the idea. There are precautions  and sleeps and performed
by the
> EXEC, but that is the general idea.

Any procedure that has you editing the monolithic directory and replacing
it as a whole means you have no audit trail (except for "directory
replaced") and the holodeck safeties are turned off.  All major directory
changes should be made with DIRM commands.  If you're making a bunch of
changes at the same time, use DIRM NODIRECT xxxx  to suppress the
DIRECTXA, and then when you're done use DIRM DIRECT to bring all the
changes online at the same time.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training