<"Does it really matter? SOX is just another way congress has come up with
to destroy the American economy, <and in fact the American way of life.">

That is not true.  SOX was a much needed and overdue reform and perhaps
one of the best things both Bush and Congress did for the American
economy, the American way of life, and the stock market which had taken a
beating after the MCI, et al scandals.

No one had confidence in financial statements anymore.

Much of the SOX work has identified many control weaknesses in IT systems
and led to much remediation which has strengthened IT and financial
internal controls, at both the infrastructure and application levels.

The last person to bad mouth SOX, Alan Greenspan, just prior to the recent
Wall Street melt down, suffered a lot of grief for this lack of attention
to internal control and had to "eat a lot of crow".

Had SOX been fully implemented earlier, the Wall Street melt down would
have been impossible.

If you do not think corporate fraud from the lowest to the highest levels
occurs, there are plenty of numbers published on the subject and SOX
audits, both financial and IT, have uncovered much of it.

One SOX audit I was on, until the client decided to cover things up,
involved "late trading", betting on the horse race after it was over.

It was soooooooooo easy to do with IT.

Since all the trades were time-stamped, you just programmed the clearing
house system to back date/time the trade and voila !!! instant guaranteed
profit.

One large Wall Street investment bank, that is no longer in business after
the Wall St melt down, was actually brazen enough to advertise this to
clients as a system feature, until the SEC levied the largest fine in
history on them.

Yes, fraud is alive and well in corporate America and IT makes it ever so
easier

"Locks are made to keep honest people honest, not stop a thief"

The best you can ever do with a thief is slow him down till he gets
discouraged or caught.

Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
12/09/2010 12:00 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Vswitch Grant as a CMD in User's Directory?

Does it really matter? SOX is just another way congress has come up with
to destroy the American economy, and in fact the American way of life.
Besides all of our passwords are probably available on Wikileaks anyway.
Don't you just love the airport scanners and patdowns?