On Monday, 12/13/2010 at 09:41 EST, George Henke/NYLIC
<george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
> I'm just grateful z/VM is still alive and well and getting stronger and
better
> every day especially with the advent of the z196 and that it is only a
question
> of time before the compiler issue will be addressed.

Not likely, George.

The problem with CMS as an application platform isn't the compilers.  As
others have noted, that's easily and [relatively] cheaply solved.  The
problem is that application developers use compilers as a means to an end,
not an end in themselves.  Business application programmers want to write
web-enabled apps and services for UIs and database access.  They want
WebSphere, WAS, DB2/UDB, Oracle, and WebLogic.  They want to write RESTful
applications.  They want to write in Java.  And, of course, they don't
want just some minimal core level of function, they want the whole
enchilada.

And in case it's not evident, business cases for compilers are developed
around *business* application development, not systems management.
Firstly, companies don't *want* to write their own systems management
software - they want to buy it.  Secondly, the number of people wanting to
write their own systems management software on CMS is vanishingly small.
So to have a viable business, you have to have enough demand to drive
significant revenue.  I say "significant" because there are lots of places
IBM can invest.  Should it invest those resources in something that
returns a small profit, or large?  (Note: I'm a stockholder, so I'm
biased.)

Those who are in the *business* of CMS-based [systems] software
development might *prefer* COBOL or PL/I, sure, but they know what
languages are available to them and they have to decide whether the market
conditions and the availability of "development infrastructure" are
sufficient to meet their business goals.  In IT, as in almost all walks of
life, it is unfortunate yet true that that the wishes of the Few or the
One are ignored in favor of the wishes of the many.

You will see that z/VM continues to invest in its native back-end System
Management APIs and in the CIM "lowware" that pushes on them in order to
free the systems management software from *having* to run ON CMS.
Ultimately being able to manage system configuration, virtual machine
provisioning, real resource provisioning, operation, event management,
accounting, security, DR and HA, all from modern front-ends UIs with their
own scriptable CLIs.  As you suggest, this is all part of the appeal of
zEnterprise.

By the way, none of the above in any way denies the acknowledged inherent
coolness of CMS.  It's a simple and fast operating system; it's "single
userness" eliminating huge amounts of complexity.  Of course, we make up
for that by having invented SFS and BFS, reintroducing some of that
complexity.  :-) It is a two-edged sword!

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices