Hello list,

> We are activating cpuplugd process for dynamic CPU and memory
> management
> for Linux guests running in z/VM. We have found a reference in
> Virtualization cook book for SLES11 SP1 how to make necessary
> configuration
> for CMM modules within Linux.But couldn't find any reference about the
> configuration to be done within z/VM for CMM. Is any configuration
> required
> or z/VM comes with CMM enabled by default.

I've been waiting for some performance person to chime in on what I
perceive as a disparity, but it has not happened.  So I will ask the
question - Aren't we talking about two different technologies here -
cpuplugd and CMM/VMRM?  Yes, the new Virtualization Cookbooks describe
cpuplugd in the section "Utilizing the cpuplugd service". This was based
on presentations from Hans-Joachim Picht, et al, but it does not involve
CMM and VMRM. In previous versions of the book there were sections on
those, but it was agreed that they should be removed - probably the
references to loading the cmm module at Linux boot time should also be
removed (perhaps this was the source of the confusion).

So I believe the answer to the original question is - you don't need to
configure CMM and VMRM for the cpuplugd service to work.  That section
should pretty much stand on it's own.

And please, could we have a bit less FUD without really digging into the
question?  Thanks.

"Mike MacIsaac" <mike...@us.ibm.com>   (845) 433-7061