Frank,
After runs  Kris' instructions, to prevent this problem:
Check the CONSOLEs defined in SYSTEM CONFIG.
At first level VM, define the "CONSOLE xxx 3270" card into USER DIRECT for
the second level machine, matching one of the address you saw in SYSTEM
CONFIG.
Remember: all in first level USER DIRECT, looks like "physical" to second
level VM. Including console.
Best regards,
Clovis