Hi.
No need, 0-END (or 1-END) is not mandatory.
You can use only pieces of dasd for each type, but  all referenced in
alloc map, not PERM type, MUST be formatted. If  not, you get the paging
errors.
To make a one-pack VM, have the VMRES mdisks, some cylinders for page and
some for spool. The minimum needed to get CMS running. All in the same
pack.

PS. And is possible (not practical) to start with an empty SPOOL:
Restore VMRES,
format page/spool,
IPL VM,
logon MAINT (IPL 190),
create the segments and all the other SDFs (or restore them from one
tape).
Followed by a new IPL.
I saw people working this way ( I help them) in the past.
Personally, nowaday this way looks more an academic POC than a valid DR
exercise...
Clovis