>     The young horse evaluation started with mares and  foals.  Several
> comments from the judges were "lack of energy'.  Well,  I watched 3
> mothers and
> young 1-2 week old foals be chased for 30-45 minutes  before being caught
> and
> hauled to the arena.  They had lots of energy  then.  The mares were led
> around
> and then turned loose so they could  be chased to watch the mother and
> babies
> gaits.  The mother was then  taken away and the foal was chased to watch
> it
> gait.  Most of the foals  were not happy.  The judges did take note the
> ones that
> seemed to get the  most upset and let the mothers back in quickly.

What a bummer!  I think that is barbaric.

Personally, I do not have much faith in the knowledge or the training and
education of the judges.

The gait of the breed is based on mechanical aids, so I don't know how they
could learn about what makes a good natural gait.

>     It was really interesting to see how different  some foals were in gait
> and build.

Yes, there is not much consistency in the breed in conformation or gait, and
I think it has something to do with the lack of knowledge of anatomy,
conformation, and natural gaits by the breeders, judges, teachers, and
clinicians.

This breed does not gait, for the most part, at liberty, and if it does,
it's more than likely not a tolt.... so... how does the horse get the tolt
as a signature gait?

Mechanical aids!

> I do not agree that "correctness of legs" is not really  important.  Maybe
> I just don't know
> enough to  understand but being a  physician I know that incorrect
> joints/back
> etc. will effect development of  arthritis in humans.

Maybe your eyes are more open than the judges and breeders.  Maybe you know
more than they do.

And we should be asking:  why boots?  why not natural?

If the horse needs boots to protect his legs from getting cut by other legs,
maybe he shouldn't be ridden; maybe he shouldn't be bred.

Let's breed the boot out of this breed!

Let's breed the boot out of this breed by breeding horses that don't cut
their own legs off when they move.

>>>People did really
> seem to try to take care of their horses that  were there for riding
> evaluation.  There was a lady watching that does  therapeutic riding with
> 10
> Icelandics in S.C. that made the comment "I have  never seen a show where
> the focus is
> on the welfare of the horse like it is  here."

I think that people genuinely love their horses, but they don't have the
depth of knowledge to know that the saddle that they just bought "made
specially for icelandics" is painful to the horse, and the noseband imported
from Iceland, told by a certified professional FEIF Holar trainer to tighten
it real snug will make their horse have ulcers, and the pounding of the feet
with shoes AND boots, is not too comfortable for the horse.

I think they don't have the experience or knowledge to know when the fluff
stops and when the hurt to the horse starts.

I think that the people really want to see that things are nice and
welfare-y for the horse, but if they look a little deeper, it isn't.

It's very barbaric.

Judy
http://iceryder.net
http://clickryder.com