>>> I think you are on to something there Nancy.    That was one big mistake I
>>> made when
>>> starting Soley -- I took her out on the trail almost exclusively with a
>>> "buddy horse".
>>> Even though she led the way and was actually braver than the buddy horse we
>>> most often
>>> rode with, it still created a problem later on when I tried taking her out
>>> alone.
>>> She STILL (at 19) does not like to go riding alone.

If you see a lot of young horses, you'll see that some just simply aren't as
brave out
alone as others are.   Some never become truly brave out without another horse,
but some
develop bravery with age and maturity, and exposure, especially as they learn
to trust
their person.  Our home-grown babies seem naturally braver than some of the
left-alone
babies we've encountered, although I'd say that most Icelandic's are at least
fairly
brave.   But, if you push the wary ones too soon, I think you stand the chance
of making
them even more wary.  It's sort of like the shy two-year-old human who may want
to cling
to mommy...but if Mommy is there when he's uncertain, he gets his confidence
built and
eventually will be as confident, or more so, than a small child who is pushed
too soon.
All of our two-year-old horse-babies have been led out on trail walks, alone
with one
human.   Runa has been led out alone many times. I suspect Runa would be fine
to ride out
alone now, but if I've misjudged, I could put her into a situation of needing
remedial
work, and that's something I try to avoid at all costs.  Also, if we've
misjudged, someone
could get hurt, and at this point in our lives, we're just not into pain.   To
me, this is
simply another way of breaking things down into the smallest number of steps
possible, so
that you can most accurately assess where you stand.

Yesterday, when I rode Tivar out with Runa, my main job was to watch Runa.
Sometimes the
follower can see some signs of resistance that the rider simply can't see.
Turns out I
didn't need to stay right with her, and from this point, we'll gradually let
her and her
buddy get further apart until we feel good she can go it alone.  I suspect
she'll be at
that point very soon...but if not, that's ok too.