On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 8:49 PM Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> At a recent meeting where I heard some mass senders talk about this
> problem, the use of "x=" as a mitigation technique was raised.  I was
> curious to know what their experience was in terms of (a) success overall,
> but also (b) how broadly they found "x=" to have been properly implemented
> by receivers.  I have to admit that was some months ago and now I forget
> the answer; maybe someone else who was there can fill in that blank.
>
> But I'm not sure that "x=" by itself is enough, given that it takes only a
> matter of seconds for the attack to succeed, and it seems unlikely to me
> that the "t=" and "x=" values would ever be that close together.

x= is indeed the most effective single defensive technique for many
affected senders whose signatures are getting replayed, but yes - in
practice it's still "not quite enough" even when combined with multiple
other mitigation techniques. That's why we're here; existing solutions come
up short.

I can't speak to support for x= broadly, but as mentioned earlier these
replays were almost exclusively targeted at end recipients at certain large
mailbox providers, and I can confirm those have proper support for x=.