On 12/12/22 8:49 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 5:03 PM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

    Note that in both cases it requires the good will of the receiver (or
    client in the web case). We already have the equivalent of expired
    certs
    with the x= option. If senders are concerned about this, there is
    already solution in the current specs.

At a recent meeting where I heard some mass senders talk about this problem, the use of "x=" as a mitigation technique was raised.  I was curious to know what their experience was in terms of (a) success overall, but also (b) how broadly they found "x=" to have been properly implemented by receivers.  I have to admit that was some months ago and now I forget the answer; maybe someone else who was there can fill in that blank.

But I'm not sure that "x=" by itself is enough, given that it takes only a matter of seconds for the attack to succeed, and it seems unlikely to me that the "t=" and "x=" values would ever be that close together.

I too remain skeptical that would help with the problem as well, just trying to point out that there exists protocol mechanisms already available to have the same effect as stripping signatures. They all rely on the good will of the initial receiver, which of course is far from guaranteed.

If there is any solution here, it needs to be on the sender's end.

Mike