> Interesting bit from what appears to be the original draft charter,
> circulated at the DKIM BOF, November 2005:
>
> > The DKIM working group will produce specifications
> > that permit authentication of message headers during transit,

DKIM signature headers have effectively become a type of logging, used
for troubleshooting multiple things that ultimately relate to how the
message was perceived during transit. Being able to troubleshoot
transit issues surely has a reasonable requirement to be able to
access information like signatures and headers post transit, and I
don't think the fact that this bit of the charter necessarily
contradicts that. How would "during transit"  imply that header
information should be removed/deleted/handled post-transit in a
certain way different from today, especially given the common use case
of using it to troubleshoot what happened during transit? I don't see
an incompatibility here; it feels like a stretch to me.

That the charter said "during transit" is a perfectly fine and
accurate response that misses the point slightly -- that other folks
did and do see the value of post-transit use of DKIM, and that there
is significant usage of it in this way today, and to me, it seems
unreasonable to wholly discount that. Perhaps the documentation
doesn't align with common usage. Point granted, but simply holding up
a sign that says that and implying that this thus solves some level of
the problem doesn't seem right to me. There'd be an awful lot of
existing, current usage to unwind there to get back to your desired
square one, and I'd argue that there's value and utility to lose by
doing so.

Cheers,
Al Iverson

Al Iverson / Deliverability blogging at www.spamresource.com