On 12/10/2022 2:15 PM, Al Iverson wrote:
That the charter said "during transit" is a perfectly fine and
accurate response that misses the point slightly -- that other folks
did and do see the value of post-transit use of DKIM, and that there
is significant usage of it in this way today, and to me, it seems
unreasonable to wholly discount that. Perhaps the documentation
doesn't align with common usage. Point granted, but simply holding up
a sign that says that and implying that this thus solves some level of
the problem doesn't seem right to me. There'd be an awful lot of
existing, current usage to unwind there to get back to your desired
square one, and I'd argue that there's value and utility to lose by
doing so.

There is usage that is reasonable, in terms of the technology, administration, and operations involving DKIM.  And then there is usage that is not reasonable.  On the basis of only DKIM, for example, making assertions about the authenticity of the rfc5322.From field contents is something that is often cited but never valid.  So we need some care in considering which uses to cover here and which to ignore or even explicitly exclude.

I think a simple -- and hopefully not too simplistic -- question to consider in the context of replay and other misuses of DKIM, is when is it reasonable to make a fresh validation effort invalid? When should a random, remote agent no longer be able to 'validate' the signature?

This does not have any effect on how to handle results from an earlier validation, but only later retrieval and use of the public key, I think.

So let's at least distinguish between post-delivery validation and post-delivery use of an earlier validation.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking