On 12/9/22 6:14 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:
On 9 Dec 2022, at 17:00, Michael Thomas wrote:

On 12/9/22 4:53 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 12/9/2022 4:41 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
Considering that I was one of three original designers
You worked on Domainkeys?

When Yahoo asked me to be one of their outside reviewers, for their initial
work, I don't recall your being involved.

This was considerably before there was the first, direct effort to bring things
to the IETF.

Domainkeys and IIM were convergent evolution. IIM was actually published first.
I produced the first DKIM implementation followed by Murray a day or two later.
DomainKeys and IIM both preceded IETF’s DKIM effort and neither of them is
DKIM. The semantics and motivation behind a DKIM signature were determined by
IETF consensus when it was standardized, and isn’t necessarily what the
semantics and motivation behind a DomainKeys or IIM signature were.

Exactly. It took some amount of energy to synthesis them. It is completely irrelevant which came first even if it was IIM. It was teh luck of coincidence that just a few miles down the road we from very different vantage points can to essentially the same conclusions. Trying to make this into some competition is gross. I for one was really heartened when I found out about DK as it validated our thinking too. I have nothing but good feelings for Mark. I think what we came up with was really special and it's disgusting to try to drive a wedge between the two.

Mike