Steve,

> I think the point Charlie was making is that IP addresses are precisely
> the kinds of nails that the DNS was designed to hammer.

And I agree.

> Are you
> claiming that because the DNS has been used to pound other things,
> it is no longer any good for hammering (IP address) nails?

Not at all.  The DNS is (still) a wonderful system for translating IP
addresses to names and vice versa.  I'm a bit skeptical that the other things
the DNS has been pressed into action to do is optimal, but I also see the
"nail-ness" of many problems.  My point was that suggesting that reliance
should not be placed on the DNS has been, is, and most likely will be contrary
to what happens in the real world.

Rgds,
-drc