On Thursday, August 14, 2003 6:06 PM [GMT+0800=SGT],
Tarun Dua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> My PCI NIC is actually 133MHz, 64-bit
>> (1Gbps?) talking to the CPU, but that is NOT my "InterNet"
>> speed.
>
> You will also need a Gigabit ethernet switch with a FO module
> connected to your service providers glass for the 1Gbps as your
> Internet speed.

No, no.  I was not picking a fight, just pointing out that "local
loop" speed is not equal to "available speed", for various values of
"local".

My "speed" to the NIC is ~1G, from the card to the switch is ~100M,
and to www.akadns.yahoo.com is under 2M.

I object[1] to data centres saying, "We will give you a 100M uplink".
I object[1] to Tape drive manufacturers saying "40GB (compressed)".

--
Sanjeev
[1] I object to many things, as you will have realised by now.  Funny