> > i need a list of well known spamming sites for my institute's new mail
> > server. can anyone help me? the new mail server runs the courier imap
> > server with qmail on RH 9.0.
>
>  you could try to integrate relays.ordb.org into qmail. This is basically a
> list of servers on relay and locks such sites from sending emails to your
> server. they also have soe third party links to some other such databases.
>
> Hope that helps.

While ORDB, RBL, etc, are all very good ideas, isn't it also necessary to
stop spams, not just spammers? I'd suggest that you extend your strategy to
include something like SpamAssassin. This program does not need to know
which IP address the email is coming from... it looks at the email
(headers and body) and determines whether it is a spam. Our tests with
about a hundred trial messages indicated 100% correct separation of spams
from non-spam. We've now built up a collection of several hundred spams,
which we will use for another round of tests before we actually install
it on our servers.

Shuvam