On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 14:46, Sanjeev "Ghane" Gupta wrote:
> On Thursday, August 14, 2003 4:03 PM [GMT+0800=SGT],
> Ambar Roy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Most people on this list are from delhi! I have not seen many
> > places in delhi where you have enough bw to download debian
> > packages off the net ( Even a 2mbps link starts to look slow
> > when u do that!
>
> 600MB * 8 / 2Mbps = 40mins
>
> Assuming, of course, 2Mbps is 2Mbps.
However even in a Datacenter with 100 Mbps link at your disposal you
never exceed a download speed of greater than 50-60 KiloBytes(not
kilobits) per second. Thats because the mirror from which you download
an ISO image doesn't have that much bandwidth available for a single
user at any point of time. Infact some of the busy mirrors wouldn't
allow software like prozilla to login on all fours for the same reason.
However Debian has a method called jigdo which allows you to update your
old ISO images to new ones in a jiffy ( practically ).
-Tarun Dua
--
http://www.tarundua.net
Nothing you ever wanted to find about Tarun Dua