When we bagged the Microsoft deal--we knew that it was a
> strong acknowledgement of this fact especially w.r.t. India. Hence, we've
> always interpreted Microsoft's sponsorship as a strong acknowledgement of
> Linux/OSS.

How does it gets proved they have acknowledged Linux/OSS for sponsoring
for an event not attended my major portion of the FOSS community. How
they displayed their acknowledgment ?

> a) Microsoft, due to its recent Novell deal, has entered the Linux
> terrain--though indirectly. Recently, it even sold Novell's Linux'
> Virtualisation Support to Walmart as part of a mega deal.

If they were really interested in 'interoperability' or the
acknowledgment you said above, they should have rather displayed such
softwares in their stalls, at least put up a Suse Linux along with Vista
and showed Samba Sharing ;) or if they have something similar on their
side :P . Rather, they showed MS Vista and Office 2007. What's Vista and
Office 2007 doing in a so called Linux Conference ?

Also, we never expected Microsoft to promote open source
> at LA, but by being there and investing in an event that in turn promotes
> Linux/OSS--they did end up promoting the cause.

When it is not expected to promote, then how come the 'acknowledgment'
discussed above can be trusted ? adding to this, even if they are not
going to promote it, what they offend it by putting up on display they
products which are very much in opposition to two main OSS products -
Linux and OO ?

  The CXOSummit was a major case in point, where we knew
> Frost & Sullivan would table the "TOC study", but advanced preparation and
> some great panellists ensured that Linux/OSS emerged stronger--and that
> infront of some of the leading CXOs of Delhi. (I hope a few members of the
> LUG were there at the CXOsummit, and can share their experience.)

Ok, am not sure, but this is was I heard from some OSS passionates who
were eager enough to check what the CXO was all about. They said "M$ and
Novell was literally hugging and kissing each other".

The main question is why a company which opposes (F)OSS to the core,
should participate and display their products which are almost rival to
the product in the title of the conference.

Really, I had at least heard half a dozen students questioning why did
M$ was participating in a Linux conference ?!

--
With Regards

Parthan (TechnoFreak)

.   A Proud GNU/Linux User and Ubuntero