On 12/11/2007, Vikas Rawal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > There's nothing really wrong with that distribution cycle. In fact, time
> > based release cycle is a good balance between features and quality.
> > If you're not able to keep pace with the releases, know that they are
> > supported for 18 months. And the LTS (like Dapper Drake) are supported
> > for 18 months.
>

> I could be wrong, and if I am, please do correct me. LTS is supported
> for 18 months. Releases in between are supported for 6 months (isn't
> it).

Well, I quoted that  from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases .  They assert
that LTS is for 3 years.

Also, my experience has been that in case of upgrading (as against fresh
> installation), you have to upgrade to the immediate next release. So
> you would not be able to upgrade from dapper to feisty directly. You
> would have to first upgrade to edgy and then to feisty. Similarly, you
> could upgrade to gutsy only from feisty. There is no way that I know
> of upgrading from edgy to gutsy directly.

You're absolutely right. Like Niyam, I don't upgrade at all. I would do
a fresh installation of Feisty or Grumpy. Upgrades have not been very
successful, many break. And even when upgrading you've to download
a lot. So why not just have a new installation.

Fresh installation would mean that I have to configure all the
> software all over again: postfix, mysql, apache....It would be a
> really long list, and would take me quite a few days to implement.

For me, the configuration takes about a week. To have a list of
packages, I usually
- (On old system) dpkg --get-selections > ~/myinstalls
- Save the myinstalls file
- ((On new system) dpkg --set-selections < myinstalls
- (On new system) sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
This relieves me from the pain of reinstalling everything again
manually. Hope it helps someone.

- Kazim Zaidi
Blog: http://tuxplayground.blogspot.com