Hi,
  I also just read the article that Vivek refers to, and
believe that it bears thinking about. It is a serious question
to which there are no easy answers, and it would be good to
have a real discussion, instead of short reactionary messages.

  On one hand, why should the poor be deprived of the
advantages of digital computers, and access to the Internet.
Such technologies, along with rural wireless access, do have
the potential to revolutionise education in India. People
who complain about subsidies for the poor, and things like
the national employment guarantee programme, should keep
in mind that these are dwarfed by the costs of petrol,
diesel, and LPG subsidies that pander to the rich and middle
classes.

  On the other hand, what is the point of giving laptops to
places where basic educational facilities are lacking, where
teachers miss classes more often than not, and which lack
even books? Would a scheme to distribute laptops be just
for show, or would it actually work? Are programmes like
the once-touted EduSat doing much good? It is not enough to
blame failures of such programmes on corruption and lack
of forethought on the part of the government. At least in
India, the government is what *we* have made of it.

  I think that I agree with the premise of the article that
educational reform should be more of a priority at present,
but is by no means a cut-and-dried case. I have seen at least
one instance where a government agency has done things right
for the most part in giving computers (not laptops) to rural
schools, and the children (up to class 5, or so) had pretty
much taught themselves to use the Linux desktop, and play
games.

Regards,
Gora