[Dinesh wrote]

Sriram J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> if u can tell me how one lap top will give you education  i
> will gladly  read .
> if your roti and makan is taken away  and u are given electronic
> devices instead will you accept.

You can do educational stuff on a laptop. I don't think you're disputing
that though really. Your point is about having reasonable living conditions
in place first.

Which is a good point, and one I've thought about carefully.

I'd say the "Young Lady's Illustrated Primer" [1] effect is a necessary,
but not sufficient condition for realizing the potential of kids.

I reckon realizing the potential of kids can be achieved better by a laptop
and connectivity than by books nowadays. The OLPC is no miracle device, and
most underprivileged children will remain underprivileged, but an OLPC
would be immensely helpful for those who have an innate urge to learn.

Giving people Roti, Kapda and Makan (instead of a proper education)
means you get people who will vote for you, but who will be less likely to
get out of their underprivileged quagmire. Democracy doesn't work as well
in illiterate/uneducated societies.

PJ

[1] Neil Stephenson's book, Diamond Age, describes how a girl initially at
the dregs of society becomes socially mobile after getting educated
by an illegal copy of an intelligent, interactive book - the Young Lady's
Illustrated Primer.