On 01-Feb-08, at 3:55 PM, vivek v wrote:

>> villages dont have electricity. And what good is a TV for a person
>> who has hardly enough to eat?
>>

> Great Points. They do need something different to play with. What is
> the Value generated here, How far is localization reached?
> how many actually use localized Computers in india for starters? Any
> figures? ( I  know" future lies in it" etal ) . how many softwares are
> there which touch more into local issues specific to our terrain ?
> Again are they also localized?

this is the core issue. TV and radio reach the remotest of villages
and penetrate because they are truly localised. Localisation of
computers - not so much the interface which anyway is full of icons
and need not be translated, but the content. Localisation of content
is paramount. If that is done, a huge battle is won. And it needs to
be done for 35 major languages - a herculean task that no government
can do or afford to do. The only way it can be done is by
collaborative volunteer effort - the kind of effort that made
wikipedia. And the need of the hour (to use a cliche) is to put
online portals where people can localise content. And get them to use
the portals. This is a tough job - we Indians hate to add content to
anything - and that includes even enlightened groups like the foss
community.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves