On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Manish wrote:
> [snip]
> It's not Microsoft who is supposed to refund but the reseller (as I
> understand from the license.)  Besides the license asks to contact
> the "manufacturer or installer", if you do not agree to the license,
> "to determine their return policy for a refund or credit".  And then
> they tell you that the policy is to not refund.  How contrivedly
> convenient.

Ah, then you're very much within your rights to get a refund or credit.
After all, they can't blame you for following the instructions on the
licence itself!

As a multitude of other people on this list have pointed out, the
consumer courts are probably the best place to take this issue to.
However, I'd let the vendor know that I was planning to approach the
consumer court beforehand, to give them a chance to be
gentlemen/gentlewomen/gentlepersons-of-indeterminate-gender, play nice
and refund the money before their name gets dragged in the mud.

On a side note, if this becomes common I wonder what changes MS is going
to make in their licence? :)  Will they remove the ``if you do not
agree'' section altogether?  Or are they required by law to keep it
there?

IANAL, TINLA.

Regards,

-- Raju