On Monday 23 Jun 2008, Vipul Mathur wrote:
> [snip]
> So let me get this straight:
>
> (1) With Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora etc. I can install and run a 100%
> FOSS system without needing any non-free binaries.
> (2) For hardware etc that *requires* non-free binaries / blobs, I
> have the option of *not using* that hardware, while still using the
> rest of the 100% FOSS system.
> (3) With OpenSolaris (at the moment at least) I need to agree to use
> a non-free binary just to install the system.

Precisely.

> Right? If so, I am happy using U, D, F, et al. without the non-free
> parts, and ignoring OpenSolaris for the time being.

Did you realise U, D and F together spell FUD? :)  Anyhow, choosing to
use free or non-free software is your call.

Also note that the non-free-driver hardware actually falls into 2
classes:

- Hardware that will not work at all without the non-free drivers, i.e.
hardware that NEEDS closed drivers for even basic functionality in
Linux.  I don't know if there are many of these left in the world,
can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

- Hardware that will work but with limited or crippled functionality
with FOSS drivers.  Prime example of this are the nVidious chipsets,
which will work with FOSS drivers but for which you need non-free
software to gain complete functionality (e.g. hardware 3D rendering).

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/