Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> As far as being a good FOSS citizen, I have always believed that helping
> fixing bugs upstream is better than having distro specific patches. I
> must admit, I cannot say how well Ubuntu does in this regard, however I
> have seen many launchpad bugs referencing the fact that a bug has been
> filed upstream. Unless I see proper data (and not merely
> opinions/hunches misrepresented as facts) as to whether the Ubuntu's
> community has not helped in fixing these bugs (and not merely reporting
> them - which isn't bad per se),
(Sorry for repeating this in another LUG mailing list, but just to keep
the facts right)

What Launchpad does has is a feature to mark bugs with related bugs
filed in the upstream bugzilla and a feature to find bugs which needs
reporting in the upstream bugzilla. Though this provides the ability for
Ubuntu devels and package maintainers to keep track of upstream
development, as far as my experience with Bugs and Launchpad are
considered, this doesn't ensure that when a bug is fixed in LP/Ubuntu,
the upstream also gets the patch for the same. It requires either the
patch submitter, or the triager, or the maintainer, or the devel to go
to upstream bugzilla and file the same patch for the bug there. If the
maintainer is same in both Upstream and Ubuntu, which is not very common
one, then he/she takes care of patching at both places. Else, it is the
responsibility of one of the above mentioned list of people to do the
job of filing patches upstream and following it up.

Considering the number of bugs being referred upstream and the number of
bugs that require upstream reporting and followup, the current
availability of people to work on such cases is very less. Hence, there
is a huge possibility of Ubuntu patches getting missed from moving to
upstream. But I somewhere smell that the process of reporting downstream
patches to upstream is also on the cards in the next list of development
for LP. But as LP by itself is a question of debate, unfortunately, I
will not put my hands into it now ;)

--
---
With Regards,