A thread which is relevant to many-- though perhaps not technical enough to
attract the attention of many here who have walked the path.

Niyaz, Chirag, other ILUGD members, please see my replies embedded below...
if any more queries, feel free to mail me-- on-list OR if it's off-topic
mail me unicast-- I am happy to help-- and even if I cant help; I will reply
to say so-- will not ignore mails.

Chirag Anand wrote:
>Can you tell me, that so many FOSS companies are here on this mailing list
>but why you do not come to campuses?? Or why you do not take freshers (i
may
>be wrong here), but i have seen job openings in LFY...not a single opening
>for freshers. Please tell me, where do we go (FOSS students) for gaining
>some experience? Ultimately, even if we go to companies like tcs, infy etc.
>we wont be getting any FOSS exposure there. Does that make me eligible for
>placement in a FOSS company? Just becuase, we have been promoting
FOSS/Linux
>in our colleges and have contributed something to FOSS and advocating and
>fighting for it, make us good enough for your firm? Do we even have an
>oppurtunity to realise our dreams?

@Chirag:
Buddy, here are my 2-cents-- as someone who completed his engineering in
1999-- and has been working since-- whether with a company or running a
company:---

(1) 99% companies dont hire a Windows-Guy or Mac-Guy or FOSS-guy-- they hire
software engineers who can use the technologies they deal in--- 10 years
back, everyone was lumped together-- but today, every IT person and company
sees distinctions-- and good or great guys are able to find the work they
want--- because there are always fewer great guys and more openings for
great programmers.

As far as demand for FOSS goes; of each and every web-development
advertisement you see--- 80% companies will be using linux on the server
side-- and the ability to understand and administer a server is worth a lot.

As programming skills go-- the ability to work on Unix/Unix variants-- and
the ability to write and understand c/c++ code is worth a lot in the
market-- salary-wise atleast it is worth more than what salary a vb/c#/asp
programmer will get.

A lot of work done in India is low-end-- and a lot of the programmers are
guys who can cobble together websites-- rather than hardcore programmers who
understand a OS and it's architecture and who can use the available tools to
develop the next GIMP or the next FFMPEG or the next SKYPE-- but that should
not limit or control you--- if you are passionate about technology--- gain
the skills and find a opening.

And if you are a hardcore guy-- chances are you'd be better than 80% of our
Industry right when you pass out of college--- so the onus would be on you-
to find or create a niche and go conquer the world.

I hope that helps... if anything else-- abt relevance of skills please
ask...

Regards,

NS