> Is the IP address you specify in the same *subnet* as the gateway's IP
> address and that gateways IP is not being masked by the subnet mask?
> Did you try editing the configuration files directly?
> (/etc/sysconfig/network in openSuSE)
>
> --
> Goldwyn

Gateway IP is not being masked by subnet mask, it remains the one I entered.
But the subnet gets replaced by the default gateway IP. I almost reached to
the point of start using F10 insted of Ubuntu, but thanks to the Fedora
Team, I am back to Ubuntu for their bugs.

No, I did not try editing config file, coz I was about to recommend and
install F10 on a senior writer's machine, he may not want to learn such stuf
at the age 82. It must be GUI based :P

Swapnil

Swapnil Bhartiya
http://ybfree.blogspot.com/