On Friday 03 Dec 2010, abhishek jain wrote:
> hi friends,
> I today noticed my VPS was running too slow, then i logged into root
> , and found a lot of load on it (> 240 ).
> I did a ps -ef and a lot of process were running, a lot of them were
>

> user1     23771     1  0 15:36 pts/0    00:00:02 ./atack 800
>
> Also in WHM i see a process
>
> user1 99.7 perl udp.pl 92.114.6.32 0 22
>
> can anyone here suggest me what should i do,
> i am not sure how user1 logged into server, further what does the
> command "perl udp.pl 92.114.6.32 0 22" mean which eats up 99.7% of
> CPU .

Apart from all the advice others have given you (use updated packages,
switch off unwanted services, etc), do a fresh reinstall of Linux on
this VM.  Once a (virtual) machine has been compromised, it's nearly
impossible to be 100% sure that you have cleaned it up unless you're a
real Linux/Unix dada with hundreds of years of experience.  Rootkits can
leave their components lying around anywhere in your system, and you can
never be sure that you have managed to purge the whole worm.

Reinstall, reinstall, reinstall.

Regards,

-- Raj
--