Dear Kuldeep,

Starting with a clean OS is always better. You are sure about the
things you have installed and working for you.

In the current scenario where there are many things running without
authorization, there could be some traces of the same even if those
things are stopped, cleaned.

Moreover, something might be running (or execute later on some time)
without your knowledge and doing some damage to somewhere else and you
are to be blamed for it and go behind the bars!!

As they say, prevention is better than cure !!!

-Sudhanwa

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 9:40 PM, kuldeep kamboj <kuldeepk1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi mr raj mathur,
> Im just very new to linux, so please dont mind about my question. But
> reinstall of linux in case of hack dont look very good solution. Even in
> case of windows we first try to recover system not to reinstall. Then how
> can be justified to reinstall linux system in case of hack like that?
>
> On Dec 3, 2010 8:25 PM, "Karanbir Singh" <mail-li...@karan.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/03/2010 06:26 AM, abhishek jain wrote:
>>
>> can anyone here suggest me what should i do,
>> i am...
> You have already had a lot of good advice here, I'll add a few more things :
>
> - backup you data, and only your data
>
> - backup anything else you might want from the machine, but in a different
> place to your data
>
> - Call and speak to the hosting company - make sure they understand its
>  security issue, and treat it with a high priority; Make sure they know what
> your level of linux competence is and how you can help them.
>
> - Insist on a new VM being installed for you. Dont try and clean this one
> up, just get your data and make sure its destoyed
>
> - Take steps to make sure this does not happen again :)
>
> All the best.
>
> - KB

www.projects4students.com