On Friday 10 Aug 2012, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> Raju Mathur said on Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:02:00AM +0530,:
>  > 2. Boot into root.  I won't tell you how, there are enough
>  > pointers on
>
> Will moving #5 above this help?

Sure, my principles are for sale, but only if the bid amount is
appropriate!  Trivial compensations like "half your kingdom and your
daughter's hand in marriage" won't do the trick for this one.

> Would rephrase as get into rescue mode, and (re)mount / with rw
> permissions. That is, assuming Ubuntu boot loader has a rescue
> option, which I believe it ought to have.

Do machines install with rescue by default?  I'd have thought you need
some install CD -- most distributions' install CDs seem to have a rescue
mode option.

Booting into root is faster if you know what you're doing.  If you
don't, rescue sounds like a better option.

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                          || r...@kandalaya.org   || GPG: