On 08/11/2012 01:31 AM, Raakesh kumar wrote:
I have reinstalled ubuntu again as going in recovery mode and doing those changes didn't work for me. @Balwinder Sir, I know i had made a mistake by doing so. But i was just doing a kind of experiment but without properly surfing about that...

The package management, handling of temporary, log and a few other system files is done quite cleanly on almost all Unix/Linux systems; hence we seasoned users rarely reinstall :)

Anyway, the reinstall is not bad on a freshly installed machine and, or in similar cases like as yours.

Okay.. just to ask, Can you please tell me what actually happened to my system when i changed the permission of /etc directory? Why my system done into an inconsistent state? While as much theory i have read during my engineering about OSs, i hadn't done anything special/severe in that..

Just a guess again; you might have recursively changed permissions (using chmod -R option or a something like that using some GUI file manager) which exposed directories and, or files containing passwords, secrets and, or other sensitive system information to the public or others.

The security has been and shell remain a major concern for the developers/auditors of Unix/Linux or multi-user systems that's why many a tools/utilities perform some checks well before performing operations intended by the user as did *sudo* in your case.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman
(http://werc.homelinux.net/contact/)