On Saturday 11 Aug 2012, Raakesh kumar wrote:
> I have reinstalled ubuntu again as going in recovery mode and doing
> those changes didn't work for me.
> @Balwinder Sir, I know i had made a mistake by doing so. But i was
> just doing a kind of experiment but without properly surfing about
> that...
>
> Okay.. just to ask, Can you please tell me what actually happened to
> my system when i changed the permission of /etc directory? Why my
> system done into an inconsistent state? While as much theory i have
> read during my engineering about OSs, i hadn't done anything
> special/severe in that..

There are files and directories in /etc that need specific permissions.
Hell, there are files and directories everywhere that need those
permissions.  Off the top of my head, a few /etc-related permissions:

Sub-directories: 0755 or similar.  If you don't have those on (e.g.)
pam.d, apache2, your servers won't work -- the files inside those
directories will not be accessible.

Files: passwd needs at least 444, because it has to be world readable.
shadow needs to be 600 or similar, because it /shouldn't/ be world-
readable; however, I don't know if any app enforces /etc/shadow
permissions.

Scripts and executables: At the very least, scripts in /etc/init.d need
to be 755 or equivalent.  If they aren't, your system will probably die
a horrible death when trying to boot.

Special files like the one you found: sudo will fail if sudoers is world
readable, because it's paranoid about security.

So you can have two types of problems related to file permissions:

1. Truncated permissions on the file (directory), because of which the
system is unable to use the file for its intended purpose.

2. Extra permissions on a file, because of which an application that
uses the file determines that it is insecure and refuses to use it.

You saw the effect of the latter; if you'd continued you'd probably have
seen the effects of the former too.

/me shakes his head... Nautilus se sara /etc ka permission change kar
diya... what will these kids think of next?

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                          || r...@kandalaya.org   || GPG: