On 8/11/12, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <r...@linux-delhi.org> wrote:
> On Friday 10 Aug 2012, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
>> Raju Mathur said on Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:02:00AM +0530,:
>>  > 2. Boot into root.  I won't tell you how, there are enough
>>  > pointers on
>>
>> Will moving #5 above this help?
>
> Sure, my principles are for sale, but only if the bid amount is
> appropriate!  Trivial compensations like "half your kingdom and your
> daughter's hand in marriage" won't do the trick for this one.
>
>> Would rephrase as get into rescue mode, and (re)mount / with rw
>> permissions. That is, assuming Ubuntu boot loader has a rescue
>> option, which I believe it ought to have.
>
> Do machines install with rescue by default?  I'd have thought you need
> some install CD -- most distributions' install CDs seem to have a rescue
> mode option.
>
> Booting into root is faster if you know what you're doing.  If you
> don't, rescue sounds like a better option.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Raj
> --
> Raj Mathur                          || r...@kandalaya.org   || GPG:
> http://otheronepercent.blogspot.com || http://kandalaya.org || CC68
> It is the mind that moves           || http://schizoid.in   || D17F

Thank you all,

I have reinstalled ubuntu again as going in recovery mode and doing
those changes didn't work for me.
@Balwinder Sir, I know i had made a mistake by doing so. But i was
just doing a kind of experiment but without properly surfing about
that...

Okay.. just to ask, Can you please tell me what actually happened to
my system when i changed the permission of /etc directory? Why my
system done into an inconsistent state? While as much theory i have
read during my engineering about OSs, i hadn't done anything
special/severe in that..

--
Regards
RAKESH KUMAR