I had a lot of problems getting X11 apps to even launch when I was using OS X 10.2.8 -- Apple developed X11 for Jaguar, but then deprecated it. X11 rarely worked and most apps bombed out. I have only had real success with X11 since buying a new iMac running 10.4. The original poster never indicated what version of OS X they were running, or what version of X11 they had installed.

Assuming you are running 10.4, then the simplest way to run The GIMP is this:

GIMP.APP
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/gimpapp.html

GIMP.APP is a compiled binary that delivers the fastest, most mac- like way to install and run The GIMP.

When downloading and running GIMP.APP, I would never know it's an X11 application if not for the ugly interface and bouncing X11 in my dock.

Dave