On 27 Dec 2005, at 21:20, Donald Keenan wrote:

I have a G3 iMac (450 MHz) that I haven't tried to start up since I turned it on nearly a year ago. Now when I turn it on, just a folder with a flashing question comes up.

That means it can't find a startup disc

Last year, I received it in the mail and on start up, the OS 9 desk top loaded but Norton (systemworks?) started running and then I just got gibberish (code?) on the screen.

Nortons has been put in the startup items folder

Is the flashing question mark a sign of a hard drive problem?

It could be but not necessarily see above

Is there a way to just wipe the hard drive clean so that I can install OS X? I assume that I need to install OS 9 first to be able to add the firmware to make it OK for an OS X installation?

If no other system is available it should just start from the CD eventually Then use disc utilities to reformat and install new system

Do I turn/power the iMac on, insert the OS 9 disk and then hold the 'control' and 'c' keys to boot from the CD so that I can wipe the drive and then install OS 9?

Just the c key or as above.

Your problem may even be a flat pram battery
John