>i just got an external firewire HD.  i was hoping it would last
>years.  does this mean I got the wrong connector?  i dont care much
>about speed - will there be any kind of firewire on the new macs?

Both the new Intel Macs (iMac and MacBook Pro) have Firewire 400 ports.

Unless you bought a firewire hard drive that uses firewire 800, you have
nothing to worry about.

Firewire 400 will be here for a while still (possibly a LONG while) as
most DV Cameras use firewire. My guess is firewire 400 is here to stay,
because not only do DV cameras use it, but so do many other DV products
(D-VHS VCRs, DVRs, DVD Burners, some TVs).

Firewire 800 didn't catch on as much. I can hazard a guess that may be
because the bandwidth isn't needed for low end stuff, so it has been
religated to the high end items (I'd think the Intel PowerMac will have
firewire 800 ports). And as for storage, it is faster to use a gigabit
SAN then a local firewire 800 drive (and the SAN has the added advantage
of being able to have much much larger amounts of drive space)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>