>If it is a different connector then maybe it won't.

I was right, I did see someone selling an adaptor.

Sonnet makes an 800 to 400 adaptor. They say it lets you connect firewire
400 devices to firewire 800 ports.

They do not say if it will work the other way around (let you connect 800
devices to a 400 port).

I'll go under the assumption that this means you can at least use 400
devices on 800 ports. Sonnet is a reputable company, so I don't think
they are selling something that doesn't actually work (like all the fly
by night people that sold those punch tools to turn 800k disks into
1.44mb disks)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>